Tuesday 30 March 2010

Seven things you don't need to know, but now do...

Sorry, I've been a little bit rubbish about posting this year. Work seems to have sucked the life out of me and has meant that I can't blog whilst pretending to work in the day as there has been too much actual work to do. In addition I have been seizing any spare moments to try and sort out the house and garden. Since this involves small tasks like moving seven tonnes of top soil by hand around the garden, learning to build dry stone walls and trying to get the vegetable garden planted up it hasn't left much time for anything else.

The lovely Not Enough Mud has tagged me with this pretty picture:



and tasked me with telling you seven things about myself that you might not know. She has set the bar pretty high as She has a Saint for an ancestor, owns a Blue Peter Badge and other rather initimidatingly marvellous things. I shall not be daunted though and will try and tell you seven things you actually want to know. Here goes...


1: I won a holiday to South America and went to Bolivia and Peru and saw Macchu Picchu (which it appears I still can't spell).

2: I blush. Really easily and at the slightest provocation. I thought I would grow out of this but I haven't. Damn.

3: I wanted to be a film or television producer. I did a lot of theatre production at University and loved it but when I got into the real world it turned out that I didn't know 'the right people' in order to get a foot in the door. To this day I wonder how my life would have turned out if I had got into that industry.

4: I camped my way around East Africa when I was twenty or so. By far away the most beautiful country I went to was Rwanda (it was just before the horrors that were to take over that country). The extraordinary thing about it was that the people there were the most visibly happy of any I met in all my travels. The hatred was well hidden.

5: I am not mad about spiders. Ever since I saw Arachnaphobia I have a secret worry that normal, harmless English spiders have had sluttish sex with horribly poisonous spiders and that they are going to kill me.

6: Someone once told me I reminded him of Drew Barrymore. I loved that. Sadly it has never happened again though my sister once said that I reminded her of Aunt Sally from Worzel Gummidge.

7: I envy married people the fact that they had a wedding list and so all their cutlery and china and stuff matches. How pathetically materialistic can you get????

Now. Work calls - I have to go to London and need to put on my Drew Barrymore kit and find important bits of paper that could be anywhere.....

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I'm really incredibly dull and not not not scary at all!

Camping round Africa? Fabulous.....

xx

Anonymous said...

Agreed camping around Africa sounds amazing. I confess that when I read your blog that I picture you sounding like Kate Winslet!! That's because I am an American and how my brain works!! Go figure!!

Jean said...

So you're a cross between Aunt Sally and Drew Barrymore then? Interesting combination. Do you were a hat like Aunt Sally's, is that what it is?

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oh I know about the blushing. I blushed terribly as a teenager, and now it is totally gone and forgotten for 98% of the time. Then it just arrives out of the blue for no reason at all. Then I don't see it again for months, weird. Africa sounds fabulous!

Home Office Mum said...

I camped around Africa too in my early twenties. And I still dream of going to Macchu picchu but obviously I need to learn how to spell it first which is why I probably haven't won a trip there.

How fantastic to want to be a television producer. I wouldn't have the faintest clue.

I've been told I look like Jodie Foster. That was a long time ago though.

Shiny said...

Ooo, I'd love to win a holiday to South America and go and see that magical unspellable place!

Fabulous list x

Tattieweasle said...

Sound more like Wonderwoman than Aunt Sally but maybe it's the blushes. I'd say and iron hand in a silk glove!

franzi said...

i hear you about the spiders!

camping in africa? wow. i only made it to mozambique and stayed in rather civilized places so no camping for me.
post some pictures! though i do see the work of getting them out of a box, scanning them, and then posting them...

teacup said...

Where are you? We are all wondering how you & loyal hound are getting along with the house reno as well as the demands of the garden / yard.

Rob-bear said...

Well, it's true that you've had an interesting life — Africa, South America, Britain. And other adventures (and misadventures?). And don;t worry; theere are others among us who kant spel.

But you've been missing in action for a while. I hope you're OK; Her Ladyship, Miss Sadie, shares concern about Loyal Hound.

Rob-bear said...

This is the Bear, just checking in. Hope you're OK.

Blessings on your journey!

Babycakes said...

Amazing that the camped in East Africa at the age of 20. How did you do it? Was it with an organisation or something you arranged yourself? Interesting about Rwanda. Maybe the ones you met didn't hate the other tribe?

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you! I come back from time to time.... another woman with a house in need of work. Hope you are ok and enjoying life! Lynne

Anonymous said...

Where are you. Miss updates

Rob-bear said...

Her Ladyship, Miss Sadie, is organizing a canine search party for Loyal Hound. Perhaps she, and the rest, will also find you in the process. I certainly hope so.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
screamish said...

hey- where are you?? send word...hope eveything is ok...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh no, are you NEVER updating again?? I was backreading some posts again recently and really hope you will, would like to know how the house is getting on and the loyal hound :)

internet stats
Rent DVD Movies