Friday 13 February 2009

Sucker for Punishment. The cybermen march on....

So, after many moons of no single men on my horizon, this week spat up three at once (rather in the manner of buses). You all know the disastrous results of Wednesday's date. Tonight a friend had lined up a single man for me. There were some caveats mind you. The main one being that she was 90% certain that he is gay. Despite this dubious point it seems she felt that desperate times called for desperate measures so a casual dinner with the four of us was arranged.

I should have known that my luck was not about to change though. It is after all, Friday 13th. I have just had an e mail to say that Gay Date has come up with a limp excuse and dropped out of the evening. It seems that my appeal is not enough to lure him off his chosen path, even to have dinner with me. Darn it.

However, all is not lost. Some of you may remember Pilot Man, another in the ranks of the Cybermen. There was a moment when I wondered if I was accidentally stalking him over the summer and then a long, long drought when I heard nothing from him. Then, early in the winter, he got in touch again. We have now spoken several times and had several failed attempts to meet that have been thwarted by snow, flying schedules, and possibly fate. I have ignored fate though and we have a new date made - for TOMORROW! At the time I had not appreciated that this was valentine's day. I mean valetine's day does not generally have much significance for me. So when we picked Saturday to meet it did not occur to me that we would be surrounded by couples smothered in chocolate and roses and pretending to adore each other. This might make a first meeting a little awkward.

In addition there is an etiquette issue. Should I take some token valentine like gift with me? My instincts are throwing up at the thought and I want to trust them. Advise me readers, advise me....

You'll have to wait until Sunday to find out what happens as I won't be able to get near a computer tomorrow. Perhaps this is the one? Then again, perhaps he too will have a flat cap and a cravat.....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah - Gay Dates. Been there: http://notenoughmud.blogspot.com/2008/10/banker-faller-at-first.html

Good luck with the pilot though! I'd say no to the Valentine's token. Go along as if it was any other date - much safer!

Susan Walsh said...

Gaaaaah, no token! Yikes, no. Valentine's Day is a snare and a delusion! And guys hate it. If it comes up I'd say something like: "Valentine's Day? Today? You're kidding!"

Milla said...

a pack of cocktail sticks seems most nec. and a second mobile phone which could call your phone if desperation strikes. Good luck. You need it!

justme said...

DEFINATELY no Valentine's token! And yes, cocktail sticks sound sensible......
Good luck. I hope you are at least meeting somewhere nice this time.

Welsh Girl said...

Mud - aaha, so I see!
Susan - ok. I'm getting a strong vibe of 'NO TOKEN' and shall follow this advise rigorously!
Milla - I shall go armed with said cocktail sticks. Not sure I'm prepared to sort out the second phone though. Perhaps I need to arrange for a 'phone a friend' option.
Justme - hopefully nicer. We have chosen Ludlow as a middle ground that neither of us knows!

Monika said...

No no no to the gift - too corny for a first date.
Just think it can only be better than the last date and hopefully you are not travelling as far this time!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others - no gift!
I hope this guy is more normal than the last one!

Anonymous said...

Alas, I'm too late, loads have already steered you on the correct course.
All my insides would scream if someone gave me a gift on the first date (especially tomorrow).

Good Luck, it can't be much worse than the other night!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

No gift and make absolutely no reference to its being VD unless it is to say you had lost track of dates and how weird it is.
Good luck. And Ludlow is a great place. Beats Kensington.

katyboo1 said...

I am praying that Ludlow turns out to be way more fun than Cheltenham.

Still at least now you can use the world weary expression, the haunted eyes and the line: 'I've been to 'nam, 'chelte 'nam'.

Ho ho!
Enjoy.xx

Jean said...

I keep checking back to see if you've done a new post...I'm dying to know what happened! Hope it was better than the last one.

Welsh Girl said...

OK - post coming up in a minute or so. Don't worry, didn't take a gift, card or even a flower!

Katyboo - Ha Ha!! Love that.

The Singlutionary said...

what the heck are cocktail sticks and what are they for?

internet stats
Rent DVD Movies